The Town of Amherst LSSE Department is seeking Swim Instructors and Lifeguards to teach and or assist with swim lessons. Enforce pool rules and regulations ensuring the safety and supervision of all swimmers, participants, equipment, and the overall facility. S/he will be heavily involved with the general public, and will assist in many facets of overall pool operation.
Amherst seeks a workforce that reflects the diversity of its community.Job Summary
The Lifeguard/Swim Instructor is responsible for enforcing pool rules and regulations to ensure the safety and supervision of all swimmers, participants, equipment, and the overall facility. S/he will be heavily involved with the general public, and will assist in many facets of overall pool operation. S/he will teach and/or assist with swim lessons.
The Lifeguard/Swim Instructor works under the supervision of the Pool Manager and Aquatics Program Coordinator and in compliance with departmental policies and procedures.
1. Ensuring the safety and supervision of the participants, equipment and facility.
2. Enforcing the rules and regulations as they pertain to the facility and all swimmers.
3. Providing courteous professional assistance to the public and maintaining positive public relations.
4. Teaches and/or assists with swim lessons.
5. Assisting with special events as needed.
6. Assisting with regularly scheduled cleaning of pool area, locker rooms and surrounding areas.
7. Checking that safety equipment is in correct place and in good working order on a daily basis.
8. Wearing designated staff uniform.
9. Attend mandatory staff meeting and in-service trainings.
10. Performing other duties as assigned.
Desired Minimum Qualifications
1. Candidates must be at least 16+ years old.
2. Current Red Cross (or equivalent) certifications in:
a. Lifeguard Training
b. CPR for the Professional Rescuer and AED
c. First Aid
3. Must pass water safety skill test.
4. WSI certification is highly desirable.
5. Previous experience working at a pool or beach is preferred.
6. Previous experience teaching swimming lessons is preferred.